Private Residence

Sydney, NSW

Collaborators

Former Glory Inc
Dangar Barin Smith

Builder

Ciolino Constructions

Photographer

Felix Forest

This classic house designed by Harry Seidler and built in 1958 is a tribute to fifties modernism in Sydney. Very little of the interiors were in their original state when Richards Stanisich were commissioned to refurbish, add a pool and extend the house to connect it with the off-street garage.

Inspired by Seidler’s clean lines and rational planning, our design creates a flow of space through all areas. The client’s passion for mid-century design is reflected in the joinery detailing and accents of colour and pattern to the interior spaces. The design intent was for a careful renovation that rebuilds original features – like the basket-weave herringbone parquetry – and adds new spaces like the pottery studio to suit our client.